This release of VMware ESXi contains the following enhancements:
- I/O Filter: vSphere APIs for I/O Filtering (VAIO) provide a framework that allows third parties to create software components called I/O filters. The filters can be installed on ESXi hosts and can offer additional data services to virtual machines by processing I/O requests that move between the guest operating system of a virtual machine and virtual disks.
- Exclusive affinity to additional system contexts associated with a low-latency VM: This release introduces a new VMX option sched.cpu.latencySensitivity.sysContexts to address issues on vSphere 6.0 where most system contexts are still worldlets. The Scheduler utilizes the sched.cpu.latencySensitivity.sysContexts option for each virtual machine to automatically identify a set of system contexts that might be involved in the latency-sensitive workloads. For each of these system contexts, exclusive affinity to one dedicated physical core is provided. The VMX option sched.cpu.latencySensitivity.sysContexts denotes how many exclusive cores a low-latency VM can get for the system contexts.
- ESXi Authentication for Active Directory:ESXi is modified to only support AES256-CTS/AES128-CTS/RC4-HMAC encryption for Kerberos communication between ESXi and Active Directory.
- Support for SSLv3: Support for SSLv3 has been disabled by default. For further details, see Knowledge Base article 2121021.
- Stretched Clusters: Virtual SAN 6.0 Update 1 supports stretched clusters that span geographic locations to protect data from site failures or loss of network connection.
Supported Upgrade Paths for Upgrade to ESXi 5.5 Update 3:
|Upgrade Deliverables||Supported Upgrade Tools||Supported Upgrade Paths to ESXi 5.5 Update 3|
ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 1
ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 2
ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 3
ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 4
ESX/ESXi 4.1 Update 1
ESX/ESXi 4.1 Update 2
ESX/ESXi 4.1 Update 3
ESXi 5.0 Update 1
ESXi 5.0 Update 2
ESXi 5.0 Update 3
ESXi 5.1 Update 1
ESXi 5.1 Update 2
ESXi 5.5 Update 1
ESXi 5.5 Update 2
|Using patch definitions downloaded from VMware portal (online)||VMware vCenter Update Manager with patch baseline||No||No||No||No||Yes|